Sunday, September 14, 2008

dumbest generation? sike

While I agree that certain facets of teenage life in the 21st Century do lead to short attention spans, disinterest in learning, and a host of other unproductive behaviors, I find the theory that we are the dumbest generation as a joke. I agree that many of us should care more about the world around us, as well as history because of the many benefits its teachings offer, yet to say that because we lack knowledge of these events we are dumb, is naive. The way our world is evolving, into a high tech based, fast paced society, is breeding us to thrive. What used to be knowledge that could contribute to one's overall standing, is now easily accessible to all with a few keystrokes and a little deductive reasoning. Not to refute the ideals that history is important, quite to the contrary I do believe learning history is important. I simply find the fact that you could much more easily teach a teenager how to use a computer software program, that have become the mainstay of the modern workforce, in a fraction of the time that it would take a aged individual of similar mental capacity to become familiar and comfortable the only evidence needed to prove our not so "dumbness."

2 comments:

Nika said...

I agree with you completely. I do not think that we are the dumbest generation. I liked how you brought up the fact that we can learn computer software in a much quicker time because we are more comfortable with technology. You defended your position really well.

Dan Cook said...

I also agree with what you wrote. I agree the world is changing and technology is a big part of it. I love that you stated that we can learn the same information faster using technology. That is so true and I completely agree.